GEP-5300TF-C - UNICOM Multi-Mode Dual SC Gigabit Media Converter, 500m
The UNICOM GEP-5300TF-C Multi-Mode Dual SC Gigabit Media Converter is designed specifically for transforming your 10/100/1000Base-T or 1000Base-T copper network to 1000Base-LX/SX fiber optic network. It allows you to expand your network connection up to 500 meters using SC terminated Multi-Mode fiber.
The GEP-5300TF-C provides a SC connector format in Multi-mode fiber. Its UTP port supports the Auto MDI/MDIX function and there are five LEDs for diagnosis and maintenance. This converter can be used in Unicom’s 10 bay media chassis or as a stand-alone component.
- Includes: (1) GEP-5300TF-C Multi-Mode Dual SC Gigabit Converter
- Conforms to IEEE 802.3 10/100/1000Base-T and IEEE 802.3 1000Base-SX/LX Gigabit Ethernet standards
- Converts between UTP cabling and Fiber Optic cabling
- Fiber cabling connectivity up to 500m
- One RJ-45 connector, Auto-MDI/MDIX for UTP port
- Auto full- or Half-duplex operation mode for UTP Port
- Uses store-and-forward switching to separate collision domains
- Prevents packet loss by supporting backpressure & flow control
- Three DIP-switches for Pure and Switch mode setup and Link-Loss Forwarding function
- Per port LEDs for diagnosis and maintenance
- External DC power adapter, 9V DC/700mA
- Can be mounted in chassis or used as stand-alone
- FCC Class A, CE Mark certification
- Part#: GEP-5300TF-C
Twisted-pair segments can be Unshielded Twisted Pair (UTP) or Shielded Twisted Pair (STP) cabling. The cable must comply with the IEEE 802.3 10/100/1000Base-T standard for Category 5e/6. The cable between the converter and the link partner (switch, hub, workstation, etc.) must be 100 meters (328 ft.) or less in length.
Fiber segments using Single Mode connectors must use 9/125µm Single Mode fiber cable. The maximum link distance in full duplex operation is 10 Kilometers (6.2 miles). The maximum link distance in half duplex operation is 412 meters (1352 ft).
The maximum distance of fiber segments using Multi-Mode connectors measures 550 meters (1804 ft.) with 50/125µm or 62.5/125µm Multi-Mode fiber cable.
A. Select the appropriate length Category 5e or 6 twisted pair cable. Connect one end of the twisted pair cable to the RJ-45 connector on the converter and the other end of twisted pair cable to the RJ-45 connector on any 10/100/1000Base-T device.
B. Connect one end of a fiber jumper to the SC connector on this converter and the other end of the fiber jumper to the SC connector on the other 1000Base-SX/LX device.
C. Attach the power adapter DC jack to the converter. Verify that the Power LED is on.
D. Verify that the UTP “LK/ACT” LEDs light when cable connection is installed correctly. Verify that Fiber “LK/ACT” LED blinks to indicate network activity.
Verify that you are using the right power adapter, DC 5V, 2A (minimum). Using a power adapter with DC output greater than 5V could result in damage to the unit and/or personal injury.
Confirm the proper UTP/Fiber cable is being used. The Single Mode converter must use Single Mode fiber optic cable.